Ukraine’s armed forces say the Russians have “unsuccessful” in their efforts to breach the front lines in the Luhansk and Donetsk regions in the past 24 hours.
“The Lyman, Severodonetsk and Popasna regions. Enemy units are trying to carry out offensive operations, but to no avail,” the General Staff said in its operational update on Thursday.
Repel attacks: All three cities are on the front lines of the Russian multi-pronged offensive to capture the Donetsk and Luhansk regions. The General Staff said 11 attacks had been repelled.
The General Staff reported that some Russian soldiers refused to take part in further hostilities.
“A number of soldiers of the 38th Separate Motorized Rifle Brigade of the 35th Comprehensive Army of the Eastern Military District, after being transferred to the recovery zone, refused to continue participating in hostilities in Ukraine due to the heavy losses in personnel,” the statement added. .
CNN is unable to verify this claim and the Joint Chiefs of Staff has not provided further details.
Missile strikes: The Russian actions appear to have been largely rocket and artillery fire in the past 24 hours. Local authorities in Kramatorsk, a city in the Donetsk region, said six people were injured and needed hospital treatment in last night’s rocket attack.
At least three buildings, a school and a kindergarten were severely damaged.
On the southern front: “The military situation has not changed significantly. The fighting is taking place around Holyipol and along the entire line of contact. The Russians have up to 13 tactical battalions in the area,” said the Zaporizhzhya Regional Military Administration.
The city of Hulyabol saw bombardment for at least two weeks, and so did Buluhi, where a woman died of shrapnel, according to authorities.
Far south: The Ukrainians claim to have recaptured the settlements along the borders of the Mykolaiv and Kherson regions.
“Amateur organizer. Wannabe beer evangelist. General web fan. Certified internet ninja. Avid reader.”