London (CNN) – Buckingham Palace on Wednesday said it was investigating allegations that the Duchess of Sussex Megan had professionally harassed several employees, following a British media report citing unidentified government aides who had complained against him in 2018.
The Times newspaper in the UK published an article on Tuesday complaining that the Duchess had evicted her personal aides from her Kensington Palace home and undermined the confidence of a third employee. CNN could not confirm the claims.
Sources said that the publicly released version of the Duchess was only partially true and that they approached the Times because they felt they were concerned about how workplace harassment issues were resolved. Ahead of the couple’s much-anticipated interview with Oprah Winfrey, the report points out that sources are hoping to “get a feel for the side of the story,” which airs Sunday, their first appearance since leaving London for North America last year.
Buckingham Palace said it was “deeply concerned” by the allegations described in the report.
“Accordingly, our HR team will study the situation described in the article. Employees involved at the time, including those who left the Royal House, will be invited to attend to see if they can learn a lesson, ”he said in a statement.
“Royal Household has been working with dignity for many years and does not tolerate bullying or harassment in the workplace.”
Prince Harry and Megan announced in January 2020 that they would cease to be active members of the royal family and soon moved to North America. Last month at Buckingham Palace, the couple confirmed that Queen Elizabeth II had agreed with Harry’s grandmother that they would not return as active royals.
The move sparked talk of a split between the couple, who immigrated to California and are expecting their second child, and the British royal family.
A Sussex spokesman dismissed the Times report as a “calculated smear campaign” prior to the couple’s interview with Winfrey.
“This is what we call: a calculated smear campaign based on false and malicious information. We are disappointed to see this defamatory portrait of the Duchess of Sussex gaining credibility from a media outlet,” the spokesman said.
“The Duchess is saddened by this recent attack on her person, especially the one who has been abused and is deeply committed to supporting those who have suffered pain and trauma.
A spokesman said the newspaper’s statement was “defamatory” and that a letter of legal denial had been sent to the news agency.
In a Wednesday night ad clip of a personal interview aired Sunday, Oprah Winfrey asked Meghan, “How do you feel about the palace where you speak your truth today?”
“If the company has a key role to play in perpetuating the lie about us, I don’t know how they can expect us to be quiet after this time,” Megan replied. If it runs the risk of losing things, that means there are already a lot of things lost.
Harry also touched on real life pressures during a conversation with his British friend. James Gordon in his “Late Late Show” Last month.
“It’s a very difficult environment,” Duke said. ‘We all know what the British press looks like … it was destroying my sanity. I thought ‘this is toxic’, so I did what any husband and father would do: get my family out of here.
Harry and Megan have long been embroiled in the press with a large part of words and lawsuits, publishing and publishing their personal biographies in the face of numerous lawsuits against photo agencies.
Last month, Megan won a privacy claim against the editors of the Sunday Mail on Sunday, after which she released a letter to her father condemning the media as “inhumane” after the verdict, saying “the damage they have done continues to be deep.”
“Travel aficionado. Infuriatingly humble reader. Incurable internet specialist.”