Cuban outfielder Yazil Puig reached an agreement with Mexican Baseball League (LMP)’s Aquila de Veracruz, a source close to the talks told ESPN on Tuesday.
According to sources, Puig will be announced by Veracruz on Wednesday and a press conference is scheduled for Thursday to introduce the player. The player has sent a greeting to his account on the social network Twitter.
Thanks to Mexico for coming back here in my life. Thanks laelaguilabeisbol For this opportunity and for opening your hands to me. This #Wildhorse Thankfully, glad to be playing on the field again! pic.twitter.com/htmJWFDGhy
– யாசீல் புைக் (as யாசியல்புக்) April 21, 2021
“Thanks to Mexico for coming there once again in my life. Thank you to Guillaume for this opportunity and for opening your hands to me,” Puig wrote in his tweet.
“Thank you and glad this wild horse is back on the field.”
The 30-year-old Puig was a sensation with the Los Angeles Dodgers during his playing season in Major League Baseball (MLP) in 2013, and has been with the team in consecutive World Series in 2017 and 2018, but has not played in the big game since September 2019.
In his senior year in the major leagues, he scored 24 home runs and 30 doubles and stole 19 sites in 149 games with the Cincinnati Reds and Cleveland Indians. In seven seasons, he has scored 277 runs with 132 home runs, 79 steals and 415 Reserve Banks.
Last year he agreed to play with the Atlanta Braves in the Corona virus-compressed season, but the business was never completed as he was infected with the virus before reporting for training.
In the winter, Puig played with Torres del Este of the Dominican League, trying to improve his chances of contracting with one of the major league organizations, but it did not happen.
The 2014 National League All-Star offfielder firmly believes that the 2018 sexual assault charge in Los Angeles was one reason that prevented him from pursuing his career in the United States.
In a statement posted on his Twitter account last week, Puig denied the allegations.
“I am now speaking out to defend my name against the false and malicious allegations of a woman who claims I attacked her in 2018,” Puyk said in the statement. “These allegations are completely false, the evidence proves that they are false, and I hope all the facts and facts will come out,” he added.
“Travel aficionado. Infuriatingly humble reader. Incurable internet specialist.”