Chelsea had possession and control from the start, but as always against Wolverhampton, he found it difficult to create a lot of good chances.
We scored a perfectly fine goal after thirty minutes of powerful kicks through Timo Werner, but the referee whistled early on what he thought was a mistake on Saïss (it wasn’t) and ruled it out. Because of the start whistle, the VAR was unable to review it either.
However, the VAR was able to review Loftus-Cheek’s goal just two minutes later, slipping it off after the ball hit Lukaku’s knee from the corner. The review took so long that it made it even more frustrating.
The next review of the VAR technique was more favourable, a few minutes into the second half, with Saiss fouling Lukaku inside the penalty area. Sais tried to let the ball run out, but Lukaku went to great lengths to get it back and correct the error. He will take the punishment himself, and make no mistake.
Lukaku then improved technique with a superb finishing touch from above the penalty area after Pulisic intercepted the ball. Two goals in two minutes!
Chelsea threatened the third goal, but it was Wolverhampton who returned to matters with a goal in the last 15 minutes.
But just when it looked like Chelsea would hold on, despite some shaky moments in defence, did Wolves score with the last kick of the match after some slack in defence, to finish 2-2.
With peace of mind.
- Few changes from last weekend, with Lukaku and Pulisic arriving at Havertz and Jebel, as well as Kovacic getting the nod in the middle for the injured Jorginho.
- James and Azpilicueta switched roles in the first half, with Sale also in place of Alonso to change wing-back.
- He moved into a four-way defense in the last few minutes, with Sar playing at left-back and Syle moving into midfield.
- Lukaku’s 13 and 14 goals this season, most of them in the team.
- Peter Banks, the most useless referee in this league?
- Chelsea are four points ahead of Arsenal, who plays at home against them Leeds tomorrow. Tottenham plays at Anfield later today. We only have three games left to play now.
- Next up: Leeds away on Wednesday
“Tv expert. Writer. Extreme gamer. Subtly charming web specialist. Student. Evil coffee buff.”