(CNN) – Pope Benedict XVI acknowledged that he was present at a meeting on Monday, 1980, in which a false pastor was discussed, saying he had previously denied “error in editing his statement”.
Benedict showed an independent inquiry into the abuses perpetrated by the Catholic clergy at the Munich Synod, of which he was archbishop from 1977 to 1982. In the last week He denied that his attendance was “not very credible”.
The approval came in a statement to the Catholic News Agency by his personal secretary, Archbishop George Conswin, who said the mistake was “not made with malicious intent” but “the result of an error in the editorial processing of his statement.” Independent inquiry appointed by the Diocese of Munich-Friesing.
He was “very sorry” for this and apologized, Concepcion said.
Benedict XVI, whose real name was Joseph Ratzinger before he became pope, plans to publish a comprehensive report later, Conceveen said, urging Benedict to understand that a full review of the 1,900-page report still needs time.
Reading the report so far, the report says it fills him with the “shame and pain” inflicted on the victims.
Benedict, now 94, became the first pope in centuries to step down in 2013.
His tenure has been obscured by the global scandal surrounding sexual abuse in the Catholic Church, and investigators’ findings threaten to tarnish the former pope’s reputation by directly targeting him for failing to prevent and punish the abuse.